1. Make sure search engine can crawl and index pages
You can add “Sitemap: yourdomain/sitemap.xml” in Robots.txt file or you can submit XML sitemap to search engines. It is also important to check Robots.txt file to make sure essentials files are not excluded from not to index. You can type in search engine site:YOURDOMAIN to find the pages on your site that are indexed.
2.Catchy and appealing title or headline within 70 characters
The page or blog title is one of the most important elements of your on-site SEO. The reason is simple. The title is the first thing users see in search results. You should include relevant keywords in the title so it helps rank better as well as motivates users to click the links. You want to make sure the most important information, including top keywords, show up before the cutoff in the SERP in Google at approximately 70 characters including spaces.
3.URL should be descriptive but not too long, use 3 to 5 words
A well -optimized URL is one that contains 3-5 words including relevant keywords. These are the permanent URLs to your individual blog posts. This is the link that you will share when you wish to direct people towards that particular page. It is a good practice that you should remove words suchs as ‘a’, ‘and’ ‘the’.
4. Add meta description of less than 160 characters for attracting search user to click the link
Meta description is the text snippet underneath the title in the search result page. Although it does not help higher in the search ranking but it certainly increases the chances that user will click the link if it is interesting and relevant. You want to add meta description less than 160 characters long, with your keywords as near to the front as possible.
5.Use content heading sequence – h1, h2, h3 and so on
In the body of your content, make sure your first Heading tag always begins as an
H1 Subsequent heading tags should be
H2, H3, H4 etc.
6. Title, alt tags and description are important for an image
The Title section provides the text that a visitor sees when they hover their mouse over the image.
Alt Tags are necessary because search engines can’t see your images, but they do read your tags. You want to add your keywords here.
The Description section is where you want to describe your image as accurately as possible. This helps the accessibility for those who are using ‘image reader’ software.
7. Link image to the same page
You should link image to the page it is on. It will create an internal link and helps the page rank. The images are indexed by search engine and it will bring visitor to your page when someone clicks on the image on the image search results.
8. Interlink or anchor link to homepage and other pages. no orphan page
Use at least few internal links on each page or post. It is know that Google likes internal links. Internal links also help drawing readers deeper into your site by showing them links to pages they wouldn’t otherwise have visited.
9. 1 to 3 percent keyword density is suggested by many SEO expert.
Keyword density is the percentage of times a keyword or phrase appears on a web page compared to the total number of words on the page. In the context of search engine optimization keyword density can be used as a factor in determining whether a web page is relevant to a specified keyword or keyword phrase. Many SEO experts consider the optimum keyword density to be 1 to 3 percent. Using a keyword more than that could be considered search spam.
10. Use categories and tags
Categories and tags are not directly important for search ranking, but these make your site it easier for visitors to navigate the site, and therefore improve its usability and findability. Usability and time on site are becoming important factors for search ranking.
11. Use rich snippet / Rich snippets from structured data
Snippets are the few lines of text that appear under every search result. Snippets give users a sense of what the page is about. Google suggests to use rich snippets for better visibility on the search result page. You can find more about rich snippets and structure data on the Google Rich Snippets Guide. https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/99170?hl=en
Rich snippets for a recipe listing, an event listing, and a music listing
12. Use google authorship
It is clear that some kind of AuthorRank will become crucial for SEO in the future, especially since Google offers verified profiles in the form of Google + profiles and a content author tag. No matter what happens in the future, there are already huge benefits to author identification. The most obvious is the author profile photo Google shows in search results. Studies show users click results with author pictures much more than results without images.
13. Quality, relevant, entertaining content is important
After releasing Google Panda and recently Panda 4.0, readable, usable and shareable content is becoming essential factors for higher search ranking. Content should be written and optimize for users not for search engine. If you’re not producing quality, relevant, entertaining, helpful content, then all other SEO efforts will not help you that much.
Here are few tips for readable and usable content -
- Content are valuable and relevant to the audiences of the website
- Content are easy to understand and clearly presented
- Content have used a good balance of graphics, text and whitespace
- Content are structured (splitted by headings; short phrases and sentences; and small readable paragraphs) to facilitate scanning
- Content writing styles have followed inverted pyramid style when prioritizing important message
- Lists are arranged in way that makes scanning and understanding easy. Bullets are matched with website’s personality. Lists are used as number for instructions
- Data tables have clear, concise, and accurate row and column headings. Tables are generally used to compare numbers and answers to questions
- Important images are not looked like banner advertisements or gratuitous decorations. Images are not cluttered and have plenty of white space
- Labels for each data entry field are helping users understand what entries are required and optional; and data entry labels are worded consistently throughout the site
14. Consistency is important – regular publish web content
Content must be produce regularly in order to appear in the search result pages. Google likes fresh content. If you don’t update regularly, search engines will view your site as irrelevant over time and rank you lower.
15. Website load time
You must focus reducing load time by increasing site speed. Increased site speed not only improves visitor satisfaction but it also has a direct influence on your search rankings. Google recognizes site loading speed has been important for good search engine rankings for a number of years.
Most experts are agree if the site loads more than 3 seconds then there is a noticeable loss of traffic. That doesn’t mean the entire page should load in three seconds, but the basic content and layout should load in that time allowing visitors to start using the page as quickly as possible. That means if your site is taking longer than 5-6 seconds to load there’s room for improvement.